Saturday, March 24, 2007

The Past: Always With Us


Posts on The Newsless Courier recently have validated my decision to explore the ramifications of the past into the present--for myself, for my family, for Charleston (where I grew up), for South Carolina, and for my country.

Most people are more familiar with George Santayana's quote, "Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it," as a quick Google search will reveal. However, a search will also reveal New York Times reporter Bob Herbert's familiarity with Faulkner: see "Slavery Isn't Dead. It Isn't Even Past" in the Times March 1st issue regarding Al Sharpton's discovery of his link to Strom Thurmond.

I'm confident that Sharpton, though he's not one of my favorite people, would agree that the past is indeed alive for him.

Southerners have always been accused of living too much in the past, but maybe we have some insight there!

No comments: